Monday, April 26, 2010

WONDERFUL WONTONS

Like any normal person, I like to eat things that are stuffed and fried. When you think about it, almost every culture has food that is stuffed, fried, and delicious. Take for instance, the Chinese egg roll, the Indian samosa, the Polish perigoui, and the Italian ravioli, where would we be without these tasty treats? As a connoisseur of stuffed and fried foods I wanted to figure out an easier way to make them at home. My solution? Drum roll please- WONTON wrappers!

Easy enough to find, handle, and cheap these wrappers are ideal for people such as myself who lack the time, patience, and culinary weaponry to create homemade pasta or wrappers for filling and eating. Thus, I came up with the idea to test how many ways I could utilize the wonton wrapper.

Using wontons I was able to put together an entire three course meal. My menu-

Appetizers-

Spanakopita- spinach, onions, garlic, and feta
Samosas- potatos, peas, curry powder

Main course
Two types of ravioli- Portobello Parmesan and Sweet Potato with Sage and Goat Cheese

And yes, dessert
Banana Nutella stuffed wontons sprinkled with powdered sugar

Really when you think about it, there are very few items I wouldn’t enjoy when stuffed into a wrapper and fried, so the possibilities are truly endless. Everything tastes better when it’s wrapped in fried heavenly goodness.

However, some TIPS to keep in mind-
I used a melon baller to estimate how much I put in, but you can use a teaspoon.
Make sure not to overfill it or it will explode.
Use egg wash or water to seal the edges and crimp them with a fork on both sides.
You can also fold the corners in and then crimp them to make sure they are even sturdier.

How to Cook ‘Em-
Since the wonton wrappers are thin you don’t need to cook it long. I tried steaming them and frying them. I also tried steaming and frying. It’s really your preference. I also cooked the stuffing before I stuffed the wonton wrappers just to make it go faster but this also depends on what your stuffing it with. I made traditional pork wontons with raw meat and it cooked just fine.

Anyhow, if your ever feeling adventurous and are in the mood for something stuffed, fried, and tasty as I generally am, get some wrappers and let your imagination or the random things in your pantry be your guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment