Monday, October 4, 2010

Empanadia

If the samosa and the empanada were to have a love child it would be called an empanadia. As I was walking home I saw this lovely creature in the window and had to buy one.

I’m glad I did because it was the best 50 cents I’ve ever spent. The empanadia was fried and somewhat warm. It was filled with peppers, onion, chicken, and this tomato sauce that was to die for. Unlike other empanadas here, it was a bit hollow and the dough was reminiscent of a samosa. Needless to say, it was also a terrible find because I have to pass the store every day as I walk to and from work. If this love affair is to continue, I better start running because at fifty cents its an offer I can’t refuse.

Tonight I’m going out to celebrate my first day of teaching by taking my stomach out for a nice meal. I’m so excited because according my friend and local, dezaseis (16 in gallego), is the best place to eat in town. The menu of the day is a prefixed three course meal including wine for only 12€. You can rest assure, I will keep you posted on how it pans out. Until then, buen provecho.

*For those of you who don’t speak Spanish, the word empanada means to be embreaded, which is a brilliant description of this wonderful food.

No comments:

Post a Comment