Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Meal that is TO DIE FOR

What’s the perfect side dish to slow cooked lamb? Answer- potatoes cooked in lamb fat. Yes I ate it. Yes I cried. It was perhaps my best meal here in Spain so far, though I’ll have to return to my other favorite restaurant, Dezaseis, for a rematch.

The place where this magical meal took place is called Asesino, or Assassins. The place is so popular it doesn’t keep regular hours. Luckily, on what just so happened to be my two-month anniversary in Spain, my friend and I were passing by and it was open!

Asesinos is an eccentric restaurant located in Santiago. It is owned by two sisters who, according word on the street, are crazy. Once you walk through their door you’re immediately transported to another time. The place is decorated like a grandma’s house, its stonewalls covered with old china, family pictures, and other memorabilia. The restaurant is comprised of three rooms, each set up as if it were another dinning room at your grandma’s house. It has an eclectic feel to it and yet, there is also something so invitingly familiar about the décor. I sat down feeling at ease which when you think about it, is exactly what an assassin would want you to feel right before they lurk behind you and kill you ☺.

As stated earlier, I feasted on lamb while my friend ordered the hake, cooked Galician style, which always ends up being delicious. Galicians cook simply but eat like Kings. I don’t know how they do it, as they only use garlic, tomato, and oil, but they always manage to make a seemingly ordinary meal spectacular.


Adding to my delight, was the humor of the owners. After my meal I started taking pictures of the interior, to post on my blog of course. I took one photo only to see the sign that said- no hagar photos. No Pictures. I asked my friend, “Oh, do you think they’ll get mad?” She laughed and shook her head no, pointing to a picture next to her. In the photo was a group of people, probably the two sisters and their family, standing next to the sign, no hagar photos. I laughed harder and said, "I LOVE THIS PLACE."

No comments:

Post a Comment