Sunday, November 7, 2010

This Little Piggy Went to Market

I have discovered the best pork
sandwich in the world, it lives in Porto Portugal.
Typically when asked, I'll tell people that Filipinos are the No 1. experts in pork. We love traife and our love is clear through our sheer mastery of roast pork. If you haven't had a chance to eat lechon, you simply haven't lived. It is the most succulent meat you'll ever have the pleasure of eating. I'd put my life on it.

Thus, imagine my surprise when I traveled to Portugal and discovered that the Portuguese may in fact be distant cousins of Filipinos. There in Portugal I had the most perfect pork sandwich of my life. The sandwich was minimalist, roasted pork, perfectly salted and with pepper heaped onto a fluffy roll. It had crispy skin bits and tender meat bits. Every bite made me think twice about my allegiance to Filipino roasted pork.

Located in the town market of Porto, this little hole in the wall is not something the typical traveler can easily find. I knew it was the place of my dreams when I saw the window display, pigs fornicating, masturbating, and engaging in other sexual activities. Clearly, these folk not only embrace pig culture, they celebrate it. Traife is unkosher meat, or meat that's bad for you. But these ceramicans gave a whole new interpretation of dirty meat.
If you ever find yourself in Porto, do yourself a favor and go to NU Chef. It's what dreams are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment