Tuesday, January 25, 2011

MUST EATS IN PARIS

When in Paris it's best to eat everything, however this may be hard on both your wallet and stomach. As an aspiring food critic, I'd like to think I'm exceptionally discerning when it comes to food. I can tell what's mediocre, over priced, a tourist trap, or just plain crap from the sophisticated, complex, cutting edge, impossible to duplicate, and down right yummy food. When in Paris, chances are, no matter where you go, you will find a tasty meal. However, if you go to the following places you are sure to have the BEST and at affordable prices.

No.1- Bakery across from Saint-Germain-de-Charonne
in the 20th
You can't miss it. It's the bakery with the line out the door and the sweet smell of croissants wafting in the air, a lil thing I like to call, heaven. GET- the almond chocolate croissants which are filled with butter. Though buttery and rich, the pastries are also delicate and light. I ate and ate them and still could have gone for more. I also recommend getting there early when there isn't a line and they're fresh out of the oven, though they bake fresh pastries throughout the day. Grab a croissant and the head across the street to the church and sit on the steps as you engage in a divine experience. Hands down, the best boulangerie in PARIS. Trust me, I've sampled many. :)

No.2- Au Refuge du Passé- Eclectic, quaint, and delicious. I don't know about you, but personally I love a place were the decor includes sausage hanging from the ceiling. The ambiance is cozy and rich with character. The menu has several prefix options at various prices. My friends opted for a starter course plus an entree while my sweet tooth and I ordered the entree and dessert. All of the courses were delicious. The meat on my duck confit was falling off the bone, cooked to perfection. My friend who ordered the ham shoulder was brought a pot filled with a generous portion of tender and succulent pork in a rich brown gravy. As for my other friend, he ordered the fish with ratatouille, also doused in a brown gravy that was to die for. After that meal, I would gladly eat anything that comes out of that kitchen, may it be brains and lard, I'm sure the cook would find a way to make it work.

No.3- Chez Betty-
understated and intimate. This place is truly one that speaks for itself. It needs no gimmicks. It's simple yet elegant atmosphere perfectly mirrors the food it serves. The menu is written in chalk on several black boards placed around the restaurant, typical of Parisian restaurants. There were no English translations on lamenated menus with pictures and bold prints. It was not a place you'd find coming to Paris as a tourist, and this is probably part of its charm. With this said, don't go unless you're able to read french or at least be adventurous in your ordering. For appetizers we had grilled octopus dressed in pesto and an order to artichoke heart with chorizo. Both were extremely good, however, the artichoke and chorizo dish was utter perfection. It was rich and hearty without being heavy, something that is very difficult to pull off. I suspect the menu changes with the whim of the chef, however, if the option is available, have the duck pot pie, it was one of the best meals I've had in Paris. And as always, don't forget to try dessert.

Wherever you eat in Paris, may it be at these wonderful establishments or somewhere else, I'm sure it will be amazing, after all you're in PARIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment