Saturday, January 8, 2011

MMMM FLEM

Fun fact, Brussels has the most Michelin restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the world. Needless to say, my taste buds were in 7th heaven during my visit. Admittedly, when I booked my trip my mind immediately envisioned all the chocolate and beer I'd be ingesting. However, I quickly discovered Belgium has much more to offer.

Like the hot dog is to New York, the waffle is to Belgium. Located on almost every corner, its sweet scent wafting in the wind, beckoning you in, this food is cheap and portable. I must have eaten 3 waffles a day during my visit. These waffles are not the typical American fluffy, doughy Belgian waffle we're accustomed to eating for breakfast. Rather, these waffles are a thinner, tastier option. With a crispy crust, fluffy middle, and sweet glaze, it's a snack that can be savored at any time of day. You have the option of putting various toppings on them, chocolate being one of the most common. I prefer my waffles plain. For one, the chocolate is thick and if you're not careful, it will stick to your teeth, making you look like you just came from a trailer in Louisiana. Consider yourself warned.

Before Christmas, Brussels has a Christmas Market filled with tons of booths offering great artisan products and FOOD! I ate at every stand I passed. Ham, potatoes, and cheese? Yes PLEASE! Warm spiked red wine? More PLEASE! Everything was delicious and thank god for the wine, which kept me warm against the bitter chill of winter.



My friend ordered something I cannot even imagine how to pronounce. Essentially it was artichoke hearts, wrapped in ham, wrapped in a eggplant, smothered in a beschamél, with broiled cheese on top and potatoes. Yes, I'm drooling too.


Another delightful discovery, Flemish food, similar to Cajun cuisine, is what you get if you mixed Southern food with French food. See evidence below. My dish was like an elevated meal from the Waffle House. It was a biscuit topped with chicken gravy.

Sadly, not everything in Belgium was amazing. The frites, I'm sorry to say- I've had better- in New York, at Pomme Frites in the East Village.

Also, though it has the most Michelin rated restaurants, unless you have a reservation to one of those restaurants, don't even think about eating there. Both of the restaurants I chose for Saturday night were booked, leaving my friend and I hungry and desperate. Every other cute and decent restaurant we passed was filled and refusing to take any more patrons. After searching for a half hour we settled on a moules joint. While our meal was good, it wasn't great. I guess I'll have to return to Brussels again. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment