Saturday, August 20, 2011

Quinoa-unwrapped

Everyone keeps talking about how quinoa is amazing so I decided to try it out for myself. What I discovered is that quinoa, when cooked, looks like rolled up condoms. Anyone else? Just me?
Did it change my life? No, not exactly. But it was good, healthy, and easy. So, here is the recipe. If you're throwing a bachelorette party, might be a good dish to make. These are the vegetables I used but really, you can use whatever you want. Think of it as a more rubbery couscous.

Ingredients
1/2 medium carrot diced
1/2 medium apple (red sweet, green for color) diced
1/4 medium onion chopped
1/4 Bell Pepper chopped
1 clove garlic
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
(quinoa to water ratio 1:2)


Directions:
Using a tsb of olive oil or oil of your choice heat the pot on medium low and add the onions and garlic. Once soft, add the vegetables and then the quinoa. Add the water and a pinch of salt, cover and cook until tender.

The quinoa should be sweet and grainy. Best with something salty, like salmon in soy sauce. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment