Monday, September 19, 2011

Fall = ALL things pumpkin

Yes, I know, everyone is tired of the whole pumpkin craze that happens come September, but I don't care what people think, I'm a pumpkin lover and proud of it. Sadly, the people here in Spain have not yet caught the pumpkin bug, thus, I'm doing my part to spread the pumpkin gospel. Just the other day I brought some pumpkin bread to my school, and the teachers went mad for it. So here it is, my pumpkin bread recipe.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups (210g) flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2/3 cup (86 g) white sugar
1/3 cup (43 g) brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (240 ml) pumpkin purée (I made mine by boiling pumpkin)
1/2 cup (120 ml) sunflower oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (fresh if you have it on hand)


Directions:
Mix the purée, spices, eggs, oil, and water.
In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet.
Pour into a well greased 9x5x3 mold and bake at 350F/170C for 50 minutes or until the knife comes out clean. :)

In case you have run out of ideas of all the various ways you can use pumpkin, here is my Buba rant of all things pumpkin:
Pumpkin gnocchi... in pesto sauce
Pumpkin pasta...in a brown butter sauce
Pumpkin ravioli... with goat cheese and sage,
Pumpkin scones... with coconut,
Pumpkin soup... with garnished with basil,
Pumpkin in your stir fry!


Tip: If you find yourself running short on the pumpkin, add in some carrot, no one will know the difference. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment