Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin? Not Over My Dead Grandma's Mac n' Cheese

Breaking Family Tradition for Pumpkin Mac'n Cheese



For those of you who haven't heard about my Grandma's Legendary Mac'n Cheese, allow me to tell you a lil story. (As for the rest of you, who have already heard it countless times, well what's another?)

Once upon a Christmas Brunch my father, in his infinite foodie wisdom, disgraced his own poor dead mother by casually informing my Aunt that my Grandma did not know how to properly cook Mac'n Cheese. My Aunt demanded, "Milk, Butter, Cheese, Pasta, Breadcrumbs... how is that not mac'n cheese?"

"Mom used the recipe from the Old version of the Joy of Cooking, which fails to use a béchamel. Real mac'n cheese calls for a béchamel," my dad defended.

"You think you're a better authority than the Joy of Cooking!" My Aunt replied incredulously.

The man had a point, but would I say that it warranted a scene at our annual Christmas Brunch? Well, no. Nevertheless, my brothers and I understood that when it came to my dad, there was only one real way to make mac'n cheese, with a béchamel. Every so often from that day forth, my brothers and I would be subjected to random questioning by my father on the differences on a rue and a béchamel.

So, you can imagine the courage it took for me to devise and hatch out this recipe. For mac'n cheese is sacred in my family. Some would say, more sacred than, oh you know, blood relatives. Thus you don't alter it; you certainly don't add pumpkin or coconut milk to it. Rather, you make it exactly how my father tells you. Period. With that said, I still highly recommend this recipe for this dish is much healthier than it's predecessor, and a great way to once again, incorporate pumpkin into your diet because it is fall after all.

Pumpkin S'mac
(enough to fill halfway to your container) pasta (i prefer shells or something curved and hollow)
1 cup milk/coconut milk
1tbs butter
tbs flour
1 cup un-spiced pumpkin puree (be careful with canned)
1 quarter wedge of brie
packet of grated parmesan cheese
breadcrumbs
garlic
nutmeg

Steps
Boil the pasta.
Make a rue: melt the butter on low heat, add the diced garlic, and add flour. It should turn into a paste.
Add milk to make the béchamel. Slowly stir with a whisk. Let it thicken. Keep on low heat.
Add the pumpkin puree and the cheese. Keep on low heat
Add the nutmeg.
Add the cooked, drained pasta to the cheese sauce.
Pour into the container and top with breadcrumbs.
Broil until you get a nice crust and serve.
It's effin good and somewhat healthy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment